I saw this great summer wreath on Sand and Sisal's blog this month. I pinned it right away and knew I had to make something similar very soon. So, after I finished painting my interior doors, I gathered up my supplies and made it. Here's a how-to for you...
* Pool toy noodle
* Duct tape
* Beach decor of your choosing
* Rope and or jute
* Hot glue & glue gun
1) As you can see in the picture above, you'll need to form a circle with the noodle and then use duct tape to tape them end to end. (I got my noodle at the Dollar Tree)
2) Get your rope and/or jute and start hot gluing away (I started where the duct tape is). I already had sisal and jute on hand, but not enough of both, so I alternated. My stepmom, Liz, suggested it and boy, is she a smartie! So, you just wrap, wrap, wrap, glue, and repeat.
3) And keep wrapping.
Until you get this.
4) I made felt & dropcloth flowers in beachy-type colors using this technique by Home Stories A to Z (she included a great video tutorial).
5) I then hot glued a starfish, sand dollar, a couple of driftwood pieces, and my felt flowers to the bottom of the wreath.
6) I added pretty aqua colored ribbon to hang the wreath from.
Oh. My. Word. I knew my security screen door was bad, but geez louise! That's bad. (I will be putting in a new entry door next month and this screen door may be going bye bye too). Please ignore it and just look at the pretty wreath. Wait! Here's a better shot.
Originally when I made the wreath and hung it up on the door, it hung in an egg shape. I was not happy with it - I tried to deal with it for a couple of days, but it bugged me. It turns out it was hanging that way because I hung it from the part where it was duct taped. So, I took everything off and flipped it 180 degrees and re-glued everything. It was a pain and although it doesn't hang like a circle (the rope is too heavy for the foam noodle), it's much better in this new oval shape than the egg shape.
Thanks for taking a look and bearing with my silent moments on the blog this month. Ok, now back to more blinds-cleaning for me.
***Update: I noticed that over time, my wreath kept sagging into an oval, oblong shape. It appears that the pool noodle couldn't withstand the weight of both the sisal & jute. I would suggest that you use a more substantial wreath form for this project and save the pool noodle for a wreath that uses lighter material (like for yarn or fabric). I bought a straw wreath form, so I'll be re-doing this wreath soon. With all the hot glue used, this will not be an easy task, but I really love this wreath.***
***Update #2: To see how my wreath looks now, click here.***
Linking up to:
One Artsy Mama's Shine On Fridays link party and Happy Go Lucky's Shine On Fridays link party
Thrifty Decor Chick's July Before and After Party
Posted by http://adventuresindiy1759.blogspot.com/