Tuesday, May 14, 2013

French Doors Window Treatment

After I got the french doors painted, I decided to, well, cover them up!  I know - you would think I would want to see my lovely painted doors all the time, right?
Sally photobombed the picture.  Can you spot her?  :)

I'm truly happy with how they came out, but ever since I bought the house, I have been debating on the window treatment for the french doors.  I was never in a big rush to get them done, though - I don't have any neighbors that live directly behind me, since there is a big sports park right behind my house.  So, over the last few years, here have been my ideas for window treatments:

1)  Bamboo blinds - I really love those.  However, all the windows weren't very wide and they would have to be custom ordered which means big buck$$.

2)  The old style curtain rods (I remember these from back when I was a kid).  But, I wasn't sure exactly how to attach it to my metal/steel doors & sidelites and if I changed my mind later, I'd have good sized holes left in the doors.

3)  Magnetic rods.  For quite awhile, I thought that this was the best idea because they could be easily installed and removed without damaging the doors & sidelites.  But, I wasn't sure how they would hold up to being opened and closed everyday.  Also, since there would be one rod per door, the curtains would obstruct a lot of the light since I wouldn't be able to push them completely out of they way of the windows.

4)  Install a single curtain rod over all the sidelites, french doors, and the side window.  I figured this might be the best & cheapest way to get them all covered up.  Also, when I pull back the curtains, it would still allow all of the light in.  The only issue was still how much it would cost exactly because of the width of both french doors, both sidelites, and the side window.

Now, it was time to research...I had looked online and at different stores for curtains and could never find a pair that were wide enough (they needed to cover at least 121 1/2 inches).  I would have to buy more than one pair and with everything being at least $20, this was going to add up.  I even considered using painter's drop cloths and sheets, but with the width I needed, it was still going to not be cheap.  I also looked into the hardware (curtain rods, finials, curtain rings) and everything was expensive and a lot of it wasn't my "style".  I didn't need or want anything really fancy looking.  So, after a lot of research, I hopped on the Ikea website to see what they had.  I had perused their window treatments at the store in the past, but I was only just browsing.  They didn't have much of a selection to choose from, but the prices were excellent.  So, I made a trip to Ikea and here is what I got:

Racka curtain rod x 1 @ $4.99 ea
Raffig finial x 1 pair @ $1.99 pair
Betydlig bracket x 3 @ $1.49 ea
Syrlig rings/hangers (set of 10) x 3 sets @ $2.99 set
Vivan curtains x 2 pair @ $9.99 pair

My grand total was $40.40 (+tax) which completely covers the set of french doors, the set of sidelites and a side window!  Not bad at all!

I installed the brackets with no problems.  It was pretty easy - the only thing is that they didn't come with screws, so you will need to make sure you have some on hand (I needed 2 screws per bracket).
Please don't mind the gross popcorn ceiling.  They will be gone one day - hopefully soon.

And then I put together all the rings with the clips on them.

I decided to install the curtain rod as close to the ceiling as possible to give height to the wall.  I also took down the blinds in that side window - they were cheap, aluminum blinds and I always left them up anyways.

Since I needed 2 pairs of curtains to cover the width of all the doors and windows, I ended up sewing each pair together - so 2 pairs ended up becoming 1 extra-wide pair.  They were also too long - I generally don't mind the "pooling" look, but since I would be opening & closing the curtains everyday AND since the curtains were covering a main entrance to the house, I decided to hem them so they just barely hit the floor. 

The curtains I bought were a bit see through (obviously), but they aren't completely mesh and still give me some privacy.  You definitely can see any sources of light through them though (the tv, the lamp), but anything else is mostly safe from prying eyes.



I love how they turned out and think they are nice touch to the wall.


Originally Posted by Adventures in DIY

Linked up to:




11 comments:

  1. I love curtains! They add so much softness to a room. The doors are beautiful too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the style of your windows and the curtains is very awesome..i was really hoping that my living room would look similar to this..i love it..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to sew two panels together! I'm visiting from 36th Avenue link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy! Sometimes being cheap leads to some good ideas. lol Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. It looks lovely!! I have french doors in my dining room, and while they do let in a lot a light, they also let in most of the warmth in the summer! I may have to try this with those blackout curtains!! Pinning!

    Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This entire wall looks great! Textile always makes a room seem softer and more cozy! Great update! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aimee! I'm loving it! I'll be putting in window treatments in some of the other rooms now too. :)

      Delete
  6. Ceiling-to-floor curtains really accentuate the height of the wall. Curtains are placed to control the amount of light that comes inside the house as well as provide privacy. What's more, yours added a more relaxed and homey feel to the room. Great job!
    Roxie @ Allure Window Treatments

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.