Monday, May 7, 2012

Garage Organization: Hooks

Well, hello there!  Long time, no talk.  I can't believe it's been almost 2 weeks since I last posted.  I think I had blogging withdrawls.  ;)  I mentioned in a previous post that April is usually a busy month for me - lots of family and friends with birthdays - so the last few weeks have been hectic (but a good kind of hectic).  This was my first weekend that I had a chance to get things taken care of around the house, so I jumped on it.  And boy, did it feel good to get some projects accomplished (I also did attempt another project last week, but hit a snag, so I need to figure that one out).

In this previous post I mentioned that I have a 5 part plan to getting my garage organized.  It's possible that I may or may not have added another part (ok, ok, I did.  But, it may not get done for quite awhile since it involves painting the walls).  Anyhoo, I completed Part 1 a few months ago which involved reorganizing inside all the bins, labeling the bins, and arranging them nicely on the upper shelves.  Because I don't do things like I'm supposed to, I went out of order and completed Part 4 which was to install wall hooks for various items in the garage.  A couple of months ago, I bought some hooks at Target, but didn't have good luck at installing them.  They fit very loosely in the drywall making it unsafe to hang things.  So, finally, this weekend I remembered to grab some anchors while I was at Home Depot and hoped this would work.

I used a 5/16 drill bit like the instructions said for the anchors and just drilled away into the wall.


Once I had my hole, I lightly tapped the anchor into it with a hammer.

And then just screwed in the hook by hand.


Then I hung a folding chair from it, making it easy to grab and go.

I installed 2 more hooks on the other side of the bookshelf to hang my ladder.
Let's hope that they don't fall!  (heh, seriously though)

And then I quickly realized that I didn't really have much else to hang on the walls.  Hmph.   I have a few extra hooks for when I do need them though.  Ooh, ooh!  I just remembered something else I can hang.  :)

So, here is my list, re-visted, with the newest part included:
1)  Take everything off the storage shelves above the washer/dryer and move the shelves back to their original place.
2)  Clean up the doors and insides of the cabinets.

3)  Reorganize inside the cabinets by category (use plastic bins/tupperware/ziplock baggies).

4)  Buy hooks to hang some items up on the walls.

5)  Re-do the laundry area to make it nicer??
6)  Paint the walls

I'll be posting a few things this week to make up for the last 1 1/2 weeks, so stay tuned.  Hope you all had a great weekend!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.