Sunday, October 30, 2011

DIY Miss Potato Head Costume

This could technically be my nickname.  I love potatoes.  Especially mashed potatoes - yum.  But, this is not what this post is about.  I found this great tutorial on how to make a Mr. or Mrs. Potato Head costume (in my case, it's "Miss" Potato Head thank you very much).  I was invited to a Halloween party and this seemed so easy (and cute!) that I decided to try it.  And it only took me a few hours to do!  (please excuse the bad pictures - I did this at night).

I did some quick measurements and figured that I would need about 2 yards of felt.  I also bought some of the square pieces in white, pink, red, and black to make the face.   ***Update:  I bought 2 yards of felt, but didn't use that amount.  I probably used about 1.25 yards & still have quite a bit leftover - probably enough to make a kids' version of this.***

I just free-hand cut all the pieces for the face, but drew/cut patterns for the eyelashes and lips. I laid out all the pieces and pinned them so I could sew them on.

After I sewed on the face, I tried it on to make sure it was ok before finishing it up (please excuse my pj's underneath - oops).  Then, I just followed the rest of the tutorial and it was so easy to do.   I don't have any great pictures from the party that shows my costume very well,  so I will take some when I go trick-or-treating with my nephew & niece and will post it then.

***Update***  Here is a picture from tonight's trick-or-treating.  Can you tell that my sister has kids with all those toys in the background? lol  After the party and trick-or-treating, I decided that I may need to amend my costume by adding pockets inside if I end up wearing this again in the future.

This is a great project if you need a last-minute costume.  It's so easy and I got lots of compliments.
Have a great Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was actually very easy to make and wasn't even $9 in supplies! I almost put velcro on the face pieces, but went with sewing them on instead. That could always be next year's idea though. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this, Chrissy!! You did a fantastic job!! :) My first thought was that you need to take this to WDW to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and bring along some friends in Toy Story themed costumes ;) lol. So fun! ... Anyway, you did a great job on this super cute costume! :*)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.