Friday, June 7, 2013

Front Entry Door

Last July, I bought a new entry door which I shared about here on the blog.  It came primed and ready to go, but I never got around to painting it until now.

Here is what I started with...
Go ahead.  You can say it..."YUCK!"  Trust me - my feelings are not hurt one bit.

Here is the new, primed door after it was installed (you can see how the primed door is a different color than the casing)...
Much, much better already!

I started out by taping off the bottom seal of the door and around the casing.   I also taped off the hinges, hardware, and used foil on the handle.  It's all ready for paint now - I used my go-to white, Behr's off the shelf Ultra Pure White.



I used the directions from Thrifty Decor Chick's tutorial on how to paint a door with panels.  I've always painted flat doors, so I thought I'd get as many tips as I could.  I started out using a paint brush and painted on the edges of the 2 panels, the trim around the windows, and around the hardware.

I learned from painting my french doors that you don't need to tape off the windows - the paint will easily scrape off them if you use a razor blade (I use this paint scraper).

I used a foam roller brush to paint the rest of the door.  Here it is after one coat...

Two coats...

And here it is after it's all painted with the 3rd and final coat (and with the paint scraped off the windows).  I also gave the casing 2 coats of the same white to match...

And here's a quick round-up so you can see them all together...

The front entry door & the garage entry door are very close to each other and the new paint job is already making that dark corner a bit brighter.  It also inspired me to makeover my teeny tiny entryway.  I'll be sharing that soon.

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY

Linked up to:


















9 comments:

  1. I need a new front door. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! I'm so happy with my new one and so glad I finally got it. :)

      Delete
  2. WOW! What a difference. I'm loving the cute windows at the top. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this door!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still love this so much! Just wanted to say thanks for partying with us at Give Me The Goods Monday! Hope to see you back next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a huge improvement! Your efforts were well worth it. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.