We had planned on using the original fencing and were just going to add a few pieces of wood on the back to attach the "former gate" to the rest of the fence, but he wanted to go ahead and replace that section with new wood. I thought this would be a good idea - the original wood and fencing was old & rotting and even though I'd like to replace all the fencing one day, it's not going to happen anytime soon. When we got to Home Depot, we couldn't find any individual pieces of fencing. After talking with another customer who's fence had blown over, we figured they had sold out of a lot of it (the size I needed) because it had been super windy over the last few days and probably a lot of other people were needing to fix their fences too. Anyways, they did have these already-built sections, so we got that instead. And since it would make my brother's job go a lot faster, it was totally worth it the extra money.
He brought along his brother-in-law to help get the job done faster. They first removed some of the old fencing and then put the new piece in place. They then attached the new fencing to the metal poles in the back with the brackets that were already there.
There was a slight gap in between the old & new fencing, so they split a piece of the fencing (the wood is so bad, that they were able to use the claw part of a hammer to start the split and then just pulled on the rest of the piece and it split really easily without using a saw) and it fit perfectly.
Between the two of them, they knocked out the job in about 1 1/2 hours.
I know it doesn't match the rest of the fence, but I honestly don't care at this point since my backyard isn't up to par yet. At least the job is finally done! Thank you so much Chai & Leo for your help!!
Originally posted by Adventures in DIY