First up, I measured the current baseboards. Mine were 2 1/4" tall. Originally, when I measured, I came up with a 2" measurement. And this is why...
I then did more measurements and using my saw & miter box, I cut 2 pieces to fit in those spots (my sister is borrowing my sliding miter saw so I didn't get to use my fancy saw). Since the 2 pieces meet in the corner, I made sure to cut those ends at a 45 degree angle, so that I would get that nice mitered edge.
Next up, I hammered them in place. I was having a hard time hammering them in so close to the ground (also, I'm right-handed, so I couldn't get a good angle in some spots), so I pre-drilled holes and then hammered the nails in. Worked perfectly.
As you can see in the pictures, the seams were very noticeable. I caulked all those up and used my caulking tool, to make it look all nice and neat.
Yes, I know there's that blob of paint in the corner that got on the grout. I tried to be as careful as possible, but it's a you-know-what to paint baseboards when the grout is right up against it. But since this will be behind the new vanity, no one will ever see it. :)
More on the tiling process soon to come!
Originally posted by Adventures in DIY