Friday, October 25, 2013

Baby Shower: Diaper Cake

Earlier this week, I shared the tissue pom poms I made for my friend's baby shower.  Well, I also surprised her with a diaper cake.  I've made diaper cakes in the past by rolling up the diapers, but I decided to try something different this time and it came out really well (and I thought was a lot easier).
To make one of your own, you'll need a few supplies:
* Diapers (the number you need will depend on how big or small of a "cake" you want to make)
* Platter or cardboard (to put the cake on)
* Baby items (to decorate your cake)
* Ribbon (to wrap around the cake layers)

I started out by using an empty cardboard toilet paper tube to hold the place for the center of the different tiers.  I wrapped one diaper around it and then just kept adding more diapers in a spiral-like shape.  It seemed to work fine for me to just hold the last diaper added.  If I ever needed to stop, I used a spare piece of ribbon to just wrap around it and tie it in place.


When I felt like I had a good size cake tier, I pulled out the toilet paper tube and replaced it with a rolled up diaper.

I repeated the process with the middle & top tiers.  When it was all done,  I cut a piece of kraft paper (you can use wide ribbon though - I just used what I had on hand) and wrapped it around the outside of each cake tier and taped it in place.

And then decorated with some baby items.

And that's it!  It's actually pretty easy and doesn't take too much time.  It's also a really cute way to give diapers.

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY

LINKED UP TO:

This Gal Cooks' & Call Me PMC's Marvelous Monday

Lil Luna's Tatertots & Jello's Link Party Palooza

11 comments:

  1. Nicely done!! Now I wish I had a baby shower to go to ;) Pinned for future reference! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I'm sure the mama-to-be will love it! I popped over from Monday Funday-- thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! She did love it and she appreciated the extra diapers too. :)

      Delete
  3. What a cute cake! I've always seen diaper cakes with the diapers rolled and banded. This is a great way to make one though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of not rolling them up! This is so cute! I always wanted to make a diaper cake but I either don't have the time or I just think, naw...I am not that crafty! But maybe the next time i need to make one, Ill hit up your page so I can do what you did! You made it look so easy! Glad I found you on live laugh linky! I will be pinning this for sure! I am sure my readers would just love this post...maybe you could stop by my Family Fridays Link-Up party today and share! Thanks!!!! http://livinthemomlife.com/family-friday-link-up-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really liked making the diaper cakes this way, instead of rolling them up. I thought it was easier. I think it looks nice too.
      Thanks again and I'll head over to link up. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing on Family Fridays Link Up Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea and definitely looks easier than the "traditional" diaper cake. Thanks for sharing at Twirl & Take a Bow! We hope to see you again this week!

    ~ Brooke ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute (love the duckie)!. A diaper cake is always a welcome shower gift. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.