Friday, July 12, 2013

Faux Metal Letters

You've probably seen these about a million times.  I know I have!  Now, I'm not one to follow trends just because they are, well, trendy.  I like what I like no matter how trendy or uncool something is.  But, I'm a sucker for words & letters and the cottage/rustic/industrial look, so as soon as I saw these, I planned to make my own.

I bought the cardboard letters at Joann's using coupons.
I considered using the larger letters at the top (they were $9.99 each), but I decided that this was too pricey (even with coupons) and they were just way too big, but not as chunky as I wanted.  So, I ended up going with the letters that were below it (these were $2.99 each).

The weather is good for spray painting right now, but since I did this at night, I just laid down some newspaper in the garage and propped the letters on an old, empty paint can and old paint trays (I didn't want the newspaper sticking to them).

I already had the spray paint on hand - it was Krylon's Brushed Metallic Satin Nickel.  I just sprayed 2 coats per side and made sure to get into all the nooks & crannies.

I kind of liked the letters just as they were, but had planned on distressing them and giving them an old rustic look.  The ink pads I've had forever - I got them at a local scrapbook store.  I just randomly dabbed and swiped at the letters with both colors.  The dark brown ended up being the perfect color to make it look rusted!


And here's how they looked after I was done with the ink pads.  Turns out, it's not so good to use the ink pads since the ink comes off very easily onto your hands.  But, since I had planned on putting them on top of the kitchen cabinets, they weren't going to be touched very often, so it was ok.

I actually really liked both versions.  If I end up getting tired of the distressed, rusted look, I can always give them a quick spray to cover it up.  But, for now I like it this way.

I almost changed my mind and hung them on a different kitchen wall, but I just went with my original plan and it looks good!  So, yeah, I'm late to the party on this trend, but sometimes it's good to be fashionably late.  ;)

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY


Linked up to:




32 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm a new follower ON GFC from the weekend blog hop. I think it looks great on your kitchen! I'm thinking of oversized letters that I can use on an upcoming photoshoot! Thanks for sharing! ;)

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ochi! These letters were super easy to make and they would be perfect in a photoshoot! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love these... using the ink was such a great idea... added so much depth! What a great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool!!! I need to try this project ASAP!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look great! I love the metal look! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Would be great in my son's room for putting his name on the wall. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I hope you try it - would love to see it in a future post of yours! :)

      Delete
  6. These are so cute! I think my daughters would love their names in their rooms. I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! These would look great in their rooms! :)

      Delete
  7. These are fabulous. I am so glad you shared them at our link party. I think I am going to try my hand at these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really looks like metal - great finish!

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Antiques | DIY | and much more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was at first afraid that they wouldn't, but I'm really happy how they turned. Even my sister asked me if they were heavy. :)

      Delete
  9. These look great! Thanks for the tutorial. If you get a chance, please link up to my Linky Party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/sunday-linky-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned out amazing! And they seem the perfect easy weekend project. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your letters and how you prepared them! :-) I've been wanting to do this for a while now but never got a chance! :-)
    stopping by from Dakota Creek Chic link party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the letters :-). I bought a letter to wrap in Jute and it's been sitting in my office undone for about 6 months. Maybe this is the way to go. I love the look. Thanks for linking up to my Weekend Beautiful Blog Party!!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your faux metal letters! Stop by House on the Way tomorrow to see them featured at my Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Have a great week.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute letters! I need to make these soon. I'll be featuring these on Sew Woodsy tomorrow! Great job and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They turned out great! Thanks for linking up with us at Life Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. L-O-V-E this AMAZING project, Chrissy!!!! The letters look fantastic in your kitchen too!! CONGRATS on the MANY well deserved features!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely words Metal Letters. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.