Thursday, March 20, 2014

Jewelry Display

Hey there!  I've been slacking a bit with posting - life has been eventful in many ways and keeping me on my toes...So, I actually debated on whether or not to share this project.  I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out, but it will work just fine as a temporary solution until my master bathroom gets its makeover.

Even though I don't really wear much jewelry on a daily basis, I like to throw on a necklace or ring for when I go out on the weekends.  I've seen lots of cute jewelry displays made from cork board and have been really wanting to make one.  My non-crafty friend even made one and I was so proud of her!  In an effort to use my abundance of craft supplies, I decided not to buy anything for this project and use what I already had on hand.  Here is what I ended up with!

A quick note before we get started, the main reason why this is a temporary solution is because it turns out some of my necklaces that I wear on a semi-regular basis are too long to fit on the board and I couldn't flip it vertically due to the size of the cube it sits in.

I started out with this combination dry erase/magnetic/cork board.  It's not very big - maybe 8x11 or a little bigger than that.

I originally was going to spray paint the plastic frame in a fun color, but when I realized that this would be a temporary solution, I decided not to waste the time and paint.  So, I took off the frame by removing the staples in the back and just popping each side off.

I got this cute aqua chevron fabric from Pick Your Plum awhile back.  (The first picture above is actually the true color - the few pictures below reads a little more green than it actually is).  I just laid the fabric on top and cut it free-hand with enough fabric to wrap it around the back.

With a staple gun, I stapled the fabric to the cardboard backing.

I also included the yellow ribbon across it - the ribbon marks where the cork board is vs. dry erase/magnetic board is.  After I put the ribbon on, I just popped the frame pieces back on.

Using push pins, I hung up some of my shorter necklaces.  I also used a magnetic hook to hang some of my bracelets and a watch.

In front of the jewelry display board, I put my little jewelry box (for items I don't wear as much) and my ceramic egg crate which holds some of my rings and earrings.

Here is the view of the jewelry display and how it fits in my closet.  This cube previously held one of those black Ikea fabric boxes (like the 2 above it).

I had to move the black box onto the highest shelf in the closest.  This is another reason why I decided this would be a temporary solution - to take the box up & down from that shelf, it hits the ceiling and popcorn comes falling down every single time.  It's a really tight fit up there.  And yes, one day the popcorn will be no more!

I also added a little light that I got from the Dollar Tree in case I needed help finding something.

And that's it!  A cute jewelry display on a budget!

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY

1 comment:

  1. I think this turned out great! Love that you used what you had on hand to create it! Very cute display!! Nicely done, Chrissy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.