Speaking of embarrassing, here's me modeling my newly re-fashioned shirt!
This is what I started out with. See? Boring, over-sized men's shirt.
Side note: our team's name was "Factor America". Factor is a medication my work provides for Hemophilia patients and one of my awesome co-workers loves superheroes, so she named the team after Captain America.
Next up, I used some leftover elastic in my stash to ruche the sleeves & sides. I won't go into how I did it, but if you want to know how, you can use this tutorial that I used. I have heard that there is such a thing as elastic thread, but couldn't find it at the store, so just used regular elastic which worked all the same. Since I used leftover elastic, I used the thinnest one I had, but if I were to buy elastic specifically for this, I would have bought something even thinner.
After ruching the sleeves, I tried my shirt on again and pinned where I wanted to take the sleeves in since they were still a bit too big, then hemmed them up.
I trimmed off the excess fabric...
Then zig-zagged the edges just to be on the safe side. If you have a serger, that would work much better than zig-zagging.
Here's how the sleeves looked after ruching. Cute (and a little bit crooked)! I didn't bother buying matching thread since I had planned on only wearing it once for the walk, but normally you would want to buy matching thread. Otherwise, it's noticeable like this.
I ruched the sides of the shirt, just like I did with the sleeves.
Then I cut out the collar to open up the neckline a bit more. I left it as-is, after cutting it.
And one more time with the embarrassing picture, for the final product! Sure, I could have rolled up the sleeves and tied a knot at the bottom of the shirt, but anyone can do that! Do this instead!
Originally posted by Adventures in DIY