Monday, May 27, 2013

Mickey Burgers

Hello all!  I hope you're enjoying the long Memorial Holiday weekend!  I've definitely been looking forward to this weekend.  Memorial weekend is not only the kick-off for summer, but it's also the first holiday I get off from work since New Year's (and if New Year's Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, we don't even get that off!).  So, that looooooooong 5+ month stretch with no holiday breaks is o-v-e-r!

This weekend, my nephew and I decided to try to make Mickey Mouse-shaped hamburgers on the BBQ.  I got the idea to make them when I chaperoned his school field to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to use the slider patties that they sell in the deli section of my grocery store - thought it might be easier that way since they are smaller.  I tried this two ways.

The 1st way (the burgers on the left, top & bottom):  I used 2 sliders per burger.  One slider was used for the main part of his head.  I then took the second slider and cut in half and put each half on the top to make each ear.  Now, the only downside to this is that the ears didn't stick onto the head very well.  I tried to really blend them into the main part of the head - I'm sure there was probably some other way that I could have tried, but I just kind of smushed it as much as I could.

The 2nd way (the burgers on the right, top & bottom):  I used 2 sliders per burger.  I ended up just smushing both sliders into a big ball (so, I really could have just used some regular ground meat instead of getting the sliders, but well, this was an experiment) and just formed the ball with my hands into the shape of Mickey's head.  

The 1st way:  the ears were hanging on by a wing & a prayer.
The 2nd way:  looks less like Mickey's head than the 1st way.

So, I threw them on the grill to see if the ears would stay on after cooking for awhile.

Um, nope.

The one on the top right & bottom left are the ones that I just attached the ears separately and 3 of the ears broke off.  Oops!  But, look how much better they look than the other 2 that I hand-formed!  

The nice thing about using the sliders is that they were the perfect size to still be able to use a regular hamburger bun.  

Again, so you can see the difference, the one on the left had the ear break off and the one on the right was hand-formed.  I just may have to try this again to see if I can perfect it.  It's a fun thing for the kiddos for sure.

Originally posted by Adventures in DIY
Linked up to:













5 comments:

  1. I adore your Mickey burgers ... and you too, friend! :*) I've nominated you for a Sunshine Award! ;) http://www.chattingoverchocolate.com/2013/05/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that! I've enjoyed looking through your blog. Check out Sunshine PenPals and join the fun, we'd love to have you!
    http://sunshinepenpals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun! My blog is dedicated to all things Disney DIY. Stop by and check it out: www.merryweatherscottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.