Sunday, September 2, 2012

Picture Frame Makeover

Hey there!  Happy September!  We are getting much closer to my favorite time of year - the Fall.  Can't wait!  I just hope this wacky weather we've been having in Southern California turns into our usual lovely Fall weather.

On to today's subject...I've had this flower picture frame for, I donno - 10+ years maybe.  I don't even remember where I got it from (possibly Ikea?).  It's still a nice piece (I like the silver frame with the black & white picture), and although you can't tell in the photo below, the glass is dimpled which adds a nice texture.  But, it doesn't really fit with my decor.  I have it hanging in my hall/guest bath for now.

I decided the other day to see if there was a way I could re-use the frame, by just updating the picture in it.  I'm all about re-using & recycling if I can.  So, I took a look at the back of the frame to see if I could take this puppy apart.  (Please excuse the poor photos)

As you can see above, it's not like a regular picture frame because of that glass.  There were these little doo-dads, 2 on each side (total of 8), that fit between the piece of glass and frame (they are just like the ones that fit onto window screen frames).  So, I just carefully shimmied them out with my screwdriver - in fact, they came out pretty easily.

I noticed that in the corners, there are these little screws.  So,  next, I unscrewed the two bottom corners.  And wouldn't you know it, I wasn't able to unscrew the two top corners - those screws wouldn't budge!

But, it ended up being ok because after I unscrewed these two bottom corners, the bottom piece just slid right off!  Interesting.

So, with this bottom piece off, I was able to slide the glass out, even though I wasn't able to unscrew the top 2 corners.  Score!  There were actually 2 pieces of glass.  The front piece of glass is just regular, flat picture frame glass.  The bottom piece is the dimpled glass that the picture was attached to (you can see the dimples in the glass in the above photo).  I found a beachy print that I like (it's the same one I used on one of my coral pillows that I made).  I printed it to the right size and just added a small bit of tape to it on the back so it wouldn't slide out of place and put it back in the frame.  The nice thing about this, is that I can always change out the picture when I feel like it.

I just popped those little doo-dads back in (so, so easy!), slid the bottom piece of the frame back in, then screwed the screws back in.

Here it is all finished...

And hanging back up in the bathroom (thus the horrible lighting in the picture - there's no natural light in there)...
(The bathroom and also the hallway are both painted what I believe is Harvest Brown by Behr.  It came with the house and will get a new paint job soon!  It's not a bad color in person, but I like gray tones more than earthy tones).

BEFORE
  
AFTER

Much, much better!  And it only took me about 5-10 minutes to do (including finding the picture and printing it).  I know this is an unusual frame & not everyone has this type of frame, but I just wanted to show how you can re-use something that may otherwise be disposed of.

Thanks for stopping by!
Posted by http://adventuresindiy1759.blogspot.com/

Linked up to:
Thrifty Decor Chick's September Before and After Party

2 comments:

  1. hey.... do you remember how much you paid for that and/or exactly where you purchased it because I need to replace that exact picture for a customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought this about 15 years or so ago, so I'm not sure how much it was, but I *think* I bought it at Ikea.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.