Monday, March 5, 2012

Emergency Kit

We had an earthquake about 1 1/2 weeks ago, which is not so unusual since I live near a fault line in Southern California.  But, it reminded me that I don't have an emergency kit and really need to put one together. 
 
I made a list of supplies that would need to get me through a few days and here's what I came up with:

* Canned food (I picked ravioli because a can opener is not need and it's tolerable to eat right out of the can - in case there is no way to heat it up)
* Bottled water
* Utensils/plates/bowls/cups
* Cat food & water
* Glow sticks
* Flashlight (wind-up)
* Radio (wind-up)
* Bandaids
* Wrap bandages
* Gauze
* Neosporin/antibiotic cream
* Ibuprofen
* Rubbing alcohol
* Cotton balls
* Shoes/socks
* Sweater
* Blanket

Of course, there are countless other things you can add to your own, just make sure you have enough food, water, and some sort of medical supplies for at least a few days.

I bought a lot of my supplies at the Dollar Tree.  Since I'm the only one in the household, it would be hard for me to be able to rotate the supplies out (in consideration of expiration dates) and not waste anything.  I figure that the Dollar Tree items will work well enough, but if they don't get used before the expiration date, then I'll have only spent a little bit of money.  So, I gathered up all my supplies and put them inside an extra plastic storage bin that I had.

Everything fits perfectly and there is still plenty of room to add more items.  I also made a label since the bin isn't see-through and put it out in the garage where it will be easily accessible.

It's not much, but it should get me and the kitty cat through a few days if need be.  Do you have an emergency kit at the ready?


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Good Job Chrissy, your brother would be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually still am shopping for the wind-up flashlight, but I'm pretty much set for a few days if need be. Patting myself on the back. :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea Chrissy...don't forget to add a little cash. I've learned after Hurricanes, there is no place that'll take plastic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually came across that suggestion after I wrote up this post, so I will be including it. Thanks!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.