Thursday, December 8, 2016

Nightmare Before Christmas Man-Eating Wreath

If you've ever seen "The Nightmare Before Christmas", then you probably know what the Man-Eating Wreath is!  I've been wanting to make this for a few years now and finally got around to it!


I actually had all of the supplies on hand, so you might too.  If not, you can find most everything for pretty cheap.  Supplies needed:

15 ft. garland (Dollar Tree)
Red bow (Dollar Tree)
Yellow felt
White felt 
Fake red berries
Hot glue sticks
Hot glue gun

The garland was already wound into a circular shape, so I found the 2 ends and pulled them out so that they were long enough to form arms & "hands".  I kind of wrapped them around from the inside of the circle to help hold the arms in place, while also holding the circle in place.  It's kind of hard to describe, but you can see it in the picture below.  Ideally, it would have been better to give him 3 long fingers on the hands, but I went with 2 for simplicity's sake (aka I was being lazy).
(Don't mind the mess in the picture - lots of crafting going on up in here!)

For the eyes, I just eyeballed it (hardy har har) and freehand cut the yellow felt.  

Once cut, I placed them on the wreath to make sure they looked ok.  Felt is pretty easy to tweak, so if you need to make any changes, do it before you glue them on!  

I then cut out little black circles of felt for the eyes, but you can also use a black marker if need be.  Using the white felt, I cut out some sharp teeth!  Once again, I cut them freehand & left a strip at the top so it could be glued to the back of the wreath more easily.

Make sure to attach the red bow BEFORE you glue the teeth down.  
And then, using the hot glue & hot glue gun, I glued the teeth to the BACK of the wreath.

Almost done!

Attach the fake, red berries with your hot glue.  Do you spy a hidden Mickey??

And then add your man-eating wreath along with other Nightmare Before Christmas items for a cute Halloween AND Christmas display!

And in case you're wondering about the other items in my display:
** Jack Skellington coffin popcorn "bucket" - bought at Disneyland in 2011 (no longer available).
** Oogie Boogie - DIY'd from this tutorial on Disney Family.
** Jack Skellington tealight holder - bought at Disneyland several years ago (not sure if it's still available or not).
** Minnie Mouse as Sally - gifted from my awesome friend, Brenda at Chatting Over Chocolate, which was purchased at Disneyland this year.
** Jack Skellington jar - DIY'd from my own creation!  You can see my original post here.
** Zero popcorn "bucket" - bought at Disneyland in 2015.  Was still available this year at Halloweentime also.  Zero's pumpkin nose even lights up! 


Posted by Adventures in DIY

2 comments:

  1. I love that you made your own man-eating wreath! It turned out so awesome and completes your NBC display perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.