Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Serving Tray Makeover

Hello all!  I hope everyone is enjoying their week so far.  We've had some crazy weather lately - last night was warm and today was cold and rainy.  So weird!

Anyhow, I finished a project last night and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Remember when I showed you this picture and told you I had plans?

As soon as I saw the aqua color at Home Depot, I snatched it up.  I didn't have any specific ideas on how to use it, but knew the ideas would come.   If you build it, they will come.  So, I started looking around the house to see what I could use it on.  When I saw this, the light bulb went on.

I bought the tray at Target in the Fall of 2009 (I only know this because it says it on the bottom of the tray).  At the time, I had a lot of black and red in my decor.  The tray worked perfectly since I use my ottoman as a coffee table.  As much as I like red, it's not really my style anymore as far as decor goes.  So, I decided to give it a whirl and paint it the pretty aqua color.

I started out by spraying primer on it.  I think I did 3 coats.
1st coat
2nd coat
Then I sprayed the aqua on.  I gave it a about 3 coats also. 
I'm so pleased with the new color.  I've been really into aqua for the last couple of years, so I love that more products are coming out in this color.  Target seems to have a lot more decor and kitchen items in aqua also.  Whenever I go there, I stand there mesmerized.  Oooohhhh, aaaaaahhhh.

Now, as much as I love spray paint, I haven't prefected the "art" of it yet.  There are a few crackly spots and a couple of drip marks, but it's ok.  No one will notice.  Honest!  (That's what I tell myself anyways).  I need to get the technique down better, but so far I haven't ruined a project yet.  Also,  I have one of those triggers that snap on the top of the can and it makes it waaaaay easier to spray.  So, here's a quick before & after.

BEFORE
AFTER

Ta da!  I'm so pleased with how it came out.  Aqua makes me happy.  :)

Linked up to Thrifty Decor Chick's March Before & After Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.