Friday, September 9, 2011

Adventures with an iPhone

I amazed myself last night.  I  did a very daring thing - I changed the battery in my iPhone. You see, my battery in my iPhone was a piece of you-know-what.  I've had the phone for 3 years and it's gotten a ton of use.  It got to the point in which my phone would die after checking my email (very quickly) and going on a couple of apps.  I would get maybe 15-20 minutes of email/app use and it would die on me.  And with no warning.  It would even show almost a full battery and die on me!

I really didn't need a new phone.  Yes, they are very cool and I WANT a new one, but couldn't justify spending $200 just because my battery is dying on my phone.  So, I looked into buying a new battery.  I figured that they might be super expensive, but thought I'd give it a shot.   After googling it, I found this site, Digi Express.  A new battery was only $15.99 and it came with a kit if I wanted to attempt installing the battery myself.  I found a you tube video on how to do it and decided that it didn't look too difficult and it wouldn't hurt to try it because my phone was on it's last leg.  If all else fails, I could just get a new phone - it was worth it to spend a little bit of money in the effort to save a lot of money.

I got the battery a few weeks ago and was scurred to try it.  I had to charge my phone 3 times yesterday and just couldn't take it anymore, so I bit the bullet and just tried it.  It actually wasn't so bad.  I followed the video very closely - often pausing and rewinding it.  To make a long story short, I had a little difficulty with putting the motherboard back in (it wouldn't push in all the way, so I couldn't get the SIM card back in), but I ended up getting it back in correctly and my phone is up and running with a fresh new battery.  My phone didn't even die once today and I made sure to use my email, apps, and play lots of games on phone.

A couple of tips if you want to try this yourself:  1)  Don't be afraid to use a bit of force when re-attaching the "cables" to the motherboard.  This is where I had trouble - I was being a bit too gentle because I was afraid of breaking it and that's why the motherboard wasn't going back in correctly.  I ended up pushing just a bit harder and it worked.  2)   Also, I would suggest you don't touch your camera.  I had found a 2nd tutorial video when I was having a bit of problem with it and it mentions unscrewing the camera and unhooking it (but not unattaching it).  The other video did not state this.  Since I was having problems, I decided to try this with the camera and accidentally unattached it.  I reattached the camera, but now it's not working.  I'm bummed about it, but this was the least of my worries since I use my Canon digital cameras primarily (although, I will be bummed when I need it on shopping trips. Boooooo).  I thought about trying to get the camera to work again, but decided to save that for another time.

So, there you have it.  A couple of my friends were pretty amazed that I tried it on my own.  It's scary messing with electronics - especially when everyone is so dependent on our cel phones, but it was actually pretty easy.  I may get a new phone in the next year though - the new iPhone 5 is supposed to come out soon and I may get tired of not having a camera in my phone.  But,  I'll wait to make sure people are happy with the iPhone 5s and get lots of use out of my battery.

**Update** 12/02/11
I accidentally clicked on the camera on my phone yesterday morning and discovered that the camera is working now!!!!  So stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a message below - I will respond back via email, but if you have a no-reply or don't leave an email address, then I will reply below your comment. Thanks for taking the time to visit and commenting! It's much, much appreciated.